Prepare for some serious upchucking…
In short, the chemical companies created a certification to let us know their chemicals are “safe”.
Polyurethane foams and fire retardants found in your mattress can be pretty unhealthy. Chemicals used to make these products emit chemical fumes (VOC’s).
Some unhappy customers have been experiencing nasty side effects from their new mattress “smell” and expressing themselves on the net.
Our bodies do their best to filter them but many accumulate within us. Even breast milk contains Fire Retardants.
People are sharing this information and it’s not good for business so the chemical companies are now trying to take control of public perception by regulating themselves.
They created the Alliance for Flexible Polyurethane Foam with a certification called CertiPUR-US. Check out the HOT CREST. Sounds pretty legit right?
Their sponsors are…..wait…..it gets better….
– Dow Chemical (#3 in the top 10 worst polluters)
– ICL Industrial Products (fire retardant chemical manufacturer)
– American Chemistry Council (The Center for the Polyurethanes Industry)
Aren’t you relieved? I know I am.
Standards are only as good as the company that sets them. The chemical companies thought their products were safe to begin with, now they created the crest to prove it.
Yes, they’re having third party labs testing the foams but how strict can they really be?
- Essentia is what labs have tested our mattresses to be.
- GreenGuard is what many organic and natural mattress companies certify their mattresses with.
- ASHRAE is basically the new standard California adopted.
- Certipur is next in line. Practically any polyurethane foam use in mattresses would pass Certipur standards.
- Health Limit by Government – Anything over that you’d need protective equipment for.
Don’t forget about fire retardants. They’re in practically everything you own. In your computer plastics, TV plastics, couch foams, mattress foams, carpets, crib mattresses and even baby clothing.
Chemical companies spend millions annually lobbying the government to make sure we’re all “protected”. In the USA, mattresses have to withstand a 2 foot wide blowtorch open flame for 70 seconds. Mmmmm chemicals….gatta love em.
Companies have been feeding us whatever they’ve wanted for years. The problem is their stronghold on government regulations to protect their multi-billion dollar industries is stronger than ever. But things are changing. The net is smartening people up. We vote with our $$$$.
The audacity. Certification Purity USA. lol
If you’re looking for a memory foam mattress with the highest standards in the industry check us out.